Cold and flu season is unfortunately upon us, so now is the perfect time to learn about how you can stay healthy throughout this season! While these illnesses are not completely avoidable, steps can be taken to prevent them and manage your symptoms if you do become ill. Continue reading to find out how you can stay healthy this cold and flu season.
Get a flu shot
Staying up to date on your flu shot can help protect yourself against the flu and help reduce symptoms if you do get the flu.
Clean and Disinfect Regularly
Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces regularly are essential for killing any bacteria and viruses around your home.
Wash Your Hands Frequently
Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not easily accessible.
Keep Laundry Clean
Dirty clothes, towels, and bedding can increase your risk of getting a cold or the flu. Ensure that you are washing all items regularly. It can be helpful to change your clothes as soon as you get home to help protect yourself even more from these illnesses.
Prioritize Healthy Habits
To boost your immune system and maintain your overall health, prioritize healthy habits including getting enough sleep, staying hydrated throughout the day, staying active, and eating nutritious foods.
Don’t Touch Your Face
You can easily spread germs from your hands to your eyes, nose, and mouth by touching your face, which could lead to you becoming sick.
Seven Tips for Managing Symptoms
- Prioritize rest as much as possible to give your body time to recover.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids including water, herbal teas, and low-sugar sports drinks.
- Add moisture to the air in your home with a humidifier.
- Use over-the-counter medications such as pain relievers, decongestants, and cough suppressants.
- Eat foods with vitamin C, oatmeal, soup, and toast.
- Try to avoid caffeine, alcohol, sugar, and salty foods as these can make your symptoms worse.
- Visit your healthcare provider if your symptoms become severe.
As we head into the fall and winter months, taking care of your health is essential! With these helpful tips, you can effectively prevent catching a cold or the flu this season and if you become sick, you can easily manage your symptoms.