February is American Heart Month and to raise awareness around heart health, we want to share a few tips on how to improve your heart health. Your heart is the center of your cardiovascular system, and it is crucial that you incorporate heart-healthy habits into your daily routines. Continue reading to find a few tips that you can use in your daily life to improve your heart health!
1. Get Active
- Exercising more has many heart benefits. Exercising regularly can help lower blood pressure, lower the risk of health conditions like diabetes, help you maintain a healthy body weight, and help with overall inflammation. A few examples of heart-healthy exercises include brisk walking, running, swimming, jogging, yoga, and weight training.
2. Get Regular Checkups
- It is important to stay on top of your health and visit your doctor for a checkup regularly to ensure that your heart, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels are good.
3. Prioritize Breakfast
- Prioritizing eating a nutritious breakfast first thing in the morning will help give your heart a boost and set you up for success for the rest of the day. Incorporating heart-healthy foods into your breakfast can help lower your risk of cardiovascular disease and help manage cholesterol. Here are a few ideas of heart-healthy breakfast foods that you can add to your diet!
4. Find More Time to Relax
- Managing your stress levels can help boost your heart health. High levels of stress have been linked to many different health conditions including heart disease. Finding even a few minutes in your day to unwind and relax can be very beneficial. A few ways to relax could be listening to music, meditating, turning off electronics, or doing your favorite hobby.
5. Limit Alcohol Intake
- Excessive alcohol intake can have a negative effect on your overall health. It can lead to high blood pressure and heart disease. If you do choose to drink alcohol, moderation is key, and it can have negative health effects when consumed excessively.
When it comes to heart health, February is the perfect time to start taking it seriously and learning more about what is healthy for your heart. At the Advanced Respiratory Care Network, we offer cardiology services including consultations and diagnostics, as your heart health is important to us! If you are interested in learning more about our cardiology services, visit our website!