Chronic coughs can be frustrating and disruptive to your everyday life. Finding ways to effectively manage your chronic cough symptoms can help improve your overall quality of life. Today, we’ll explore effective strategies that you can use to manage your chronic cough symptoms.
Strategies for Managing Chronic Cough Symptoms
Incorporate a Humidifier
- A humidifier can help add moisture back into the air, which can help moisturize your throat, lungs, and nasal passages. A cool mist humidifier or a steamy shower can help loosen mucus and soothe a chronic cough.
- If there are specific irritants that trigger your cough, try your best to avoid them as much as possible. A few common irritants include smoke, air pollution, dust, strong smells, and pet dander.
Try Using Honey
- Honey is a great natural remedy that can help alleviate a chronic cough. It can help decrease inflammation and irritation in the throat and reduce mucus secretion to help with a cough. You can try a teaspoon of honey on its own or mix it with tea or lemon water to help alleviate chronic cough symptoms.
- Drinking lots of fluids will help keep you hydrated, which is always important, and help thin mucus to reduce your chronic cough symptoms.
- Over-the-counter medicines such as decongestants and nasal sprays may be helpful when trying to manage your chronic cough. OTC medications are used to treat symptoms and not the root cause of your chronic cough, so it’s important to speak with your doctor when using OTC medications for your cough.
Visit Our Monthly Chronic Cough Clinics
If you’re still struggling with a chronic cough, consider visiting our monthly cough clinics. Our Red Deer and Calgary locations run monthly chronic cough clinics. Our specialists can help you find the cause of your cough and recommend effective treatments to help you manage your symptoms. For more information about our monthly chronic cough clinics, please contact our team.
Don’t let your chronic cough get in the way of your everyday life. Try using these effective management strategies and let our team at the Advanced Respiratory Care Network help you find a treatment option that is effective in reducing your chronic cough symptoms!