Travel with CPAP
CPAP therapy does not need to interfere with your life. CPAP systems are fully portable and can travel easily with you wherever you go.
When traveling by air, it is good to contact your airline prior to travel to ask for regulations and procedures when traveling with CPAP. Check whether you need appropriate and proper documentation when you travel through airports and within the airline.
It is important that you carry some of the following documentation:
- Carry a letter from your doctor clarifying you need CPAP.
- Obtain approval from the airline to carry the medical device.
- Carry a copy of your approval letter by the airline.
- Carry an approval of the FAA compliance letter for your CPAP equipment.
- Arrange seating close to a power source on the aircraft so that you may be able to use your CPAP if you are traveling on long flights. Confirm the type of power cord or adapter required by the flight if permission is granted to use your CPAP on board.
CPAP devices run on virtually on any power supply in the world without the need of a power transformer. However, you may need to buy a plug adaptor appropriate for the country you are visiting. You can purchase this from any travel stores or electronic stores.
Power and battery issues
In the USA, Canada, and Europe, there are no regulatory or technical reasons why you cannot be approved for an extension lead or power adaptor for the unit. If there is no AC power, your device can operate on DC and appropriate inverters. With the use of a suitable inverter, your CPAP device can operate from battery supply (example, in a truck or recreational vehicle). The inverted should be a cable supplying appropriate voltage and should be if sufficient capacity.
- We can provide you with an AC/DC adapter so that you can plug the cable into a car charging system and plug it into your CPAP device directly.
- We can provide you with a back-up battery (only used in some brands of CPAP machines, not all) so that you can use your CPAP device where there is no AC power.
- You may choose to use a deep cycle marine battery (used in four-wheel drive vehicles and boats) as these are better suited for frequent discharge.
- We can assist you in your choice for a suitable inverter for your CPAP device.
When you travel, you should have the following information with you:
- Your treatment pressure
- Your mask type and size
- Your doctor's phone number
- Your health insurance information
- A copy of your CPAP device prescription